1）Off campus accommodation
Students can also live off campus. However, according to regulations they must register at their local police dispatch station. Here we remind everyone, when living off campus you must be sure that the source of information on your housing is reliable, and that rent procedures are completed according to legal regulations. You must also ask your landlord to bring your contract together with you to the local police dispatch station within 24 hours to apply for a temporary residence registration. Students must register residence at local police every time they leave and enter China again. In summary, you must ensure that all procedures for renting a residence are complete, legal, and reliable.
Students must remember to immediately inform the student affairs office of their new home addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. This is so that the student affairs office can help students in updating their residence, and be able to inform students of important events in a timely manner.
2) How to open a bank account
A. Bring your passport and one other valid form of identification
B. Get the application form and fill in your real information
C. Apply for the account in the counter
(Most of the banks have English-speaking staff available)
Soochow University has five campuses and two separate colleges. The School of Overseas Education is located in Yiyuan Building main campus. When you get to the gate of main campus on 333 Ganjiang Road, walk along the main road. After 700 meters or so and you will find Yiyuan Building on the right side.
1. Suzhou railway station is about 9 km from the main gate on 333 Ganjiang Road, Suzhou North railway station is around 25 km, you may take
1) Metro line 2 from railway station to Guangji Road, transfer to line 1 and take off at Xiangmen Station. Walk out from exit 1 and you can see main gate on the right side.
Note! Ticket prices range from 2 to 6 yuan (1 US dollar) depending on the distance. But transfer between Line 1 and Line 2 at Guangji Road Station, Xingtang Street Station, Zhongnan Street Station and High Speed Railway Station will cost more, but within 7 yuan.
2) Taxi : It will cost you around 25 RMB from the Suzhou railway station and 50 RMB from Suzhou North railway station to the university.
2. Shanghai Pudong International airport is about 150 km to the university, you may take
1) Airport shuttle bus at the long distance bus station east side of B1 floor, off at Times Squareg in SIP and then take a cab for 25-30 RMB to the dormitory located on 50 Donghuan Road east campus or office building (Yiyuan Building) main campus.
2) Taxi: It will cost you 600 RMB from the airport to the dormitory.
3) Pick up service: 850 RMB for a car to pick you up at the airport and send you to the university directly.
Shanghai Hongqiao airport is closer to Suzhou city. You can take metro to Hongqiao railway station and take the train to Suzhou railway station, and then get to University by metro or taxi.
4) Medical service
School hospital on campus provides medical treatment services for both teachers and students. Anyone who feels sick can go to see the doctor.
For serious diseases, students are recommended to go to Suzhou No 1 Affiliated Hospital near the main campus or Kwolong hospital in SIP where doctors are quite skillful and experienced.
5) Post Office
Main Campus Add:Near the West Gate of the Main Campus
East Campus Add: Near the Students’ Canteen
1. The express delivery service in China is well developed; One of the best express delivery for domestic mails is called SF Express. Here is the link: http://www.sf-express.com/us/en/ SF Express call: 400 811 1111.
2. There are drop-offstations in all the campuses where students can post items at any time. The pick-up points would be usually informed by the delivery service companies.
3. Usually, international delivery service of standardor EMS express is provided by China Post while local mails or parcels can be delivered by other companies.
Students canteens are open: Breakfast 6：30am—8：30am；Lunch 10：30am—13：00pm；Dinner 16：30pm—19：00pm.
Supermarket: AUCHAN 20 minutes on foot from the east gate of the campus, and you can get there by No 47, No 148, No 28, No 120 etc.
In City is highly recommended for shopping and entertainment. You can find different types of restaurants, shops, theatre and Walmart in this shopping mall. Take Bus 120 or 110 on the opposite side of the main gate and get off at the stop of In City.
8）Student ID card & Campus card
Students ID card: Leave a picture to teacher in 313 at the beginning of the semester and make a student ID card.
Campus card: known as Suda Tong, is not only for identification but it can also be used to purchase food and other products on campus. You can use your card in a variety of ways. You can dine in the canteens on campus, shop in the school supermarket, open the door to the dorms by this card. Buy it in room 313 (20 RMB) and deposit money in the center of information development and management.